In 1957, Tatiana Dokoudovska starts the company at the Carriage House next to the old brick Conservatory building (the old Grant Hall)
On April 30, 1957, the company gives its premiere performance at the Victoria Theater (now the Lyric) with Artistic Director Tatiana Dokoudovska. The program includes two ballets: Michel Fokine’s original Les Sylphides, and Ruse d’Amour, an adaptation by Miss Tania of Fokine’s The Toys.
In December of 1957, the Kansas City Ballet Company becomes a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, and includes a board of directors, business manager, and musical director.
In the 1958-1959 season, company name changed to Kansas City Civic Ballet.
The company moves to a small place on 45th street near the Nelson Atkins Museum in 1963.
In 1966, Nathalie Krassovska is first well-known guest artist and sets Anton Dolins’ Pas de Quatre.
For the company’s 10th anniversary in 1967, they perform at the Music Hall featuring three guest choreographers.
In 1967, the Womens Committee forms – later to become the Ballet Guild.
In 1968, the company moves to Treadway Hall on the UMKC Campus.
Guest Director and Choreographer Zachary Solov create entire evening with three world premiere ballets in 1968.
In 1968, Elizabeth Hard chairs first Ballet Ball.
The mayor of Kansas City proclaims a special “Civic Ballet Week” in 1970
During the 1970-1971 season, the company name changed to Kansas City Ballet.
In 1972, the ballet hosts the first Festival of the Mid-States Regional Ballet Association, with companies from 11 states gathering to take class, audition, and share their work at the Music Hall in Concert and Gala Performances.
In December 1972, KCB performs first Nutcracker.
Lyric Theatre designated as season performance home in 1975.
In 1975-1976, fall performance added to annual Nutcracker production and spring production for a three show season.
Implemented first sale of subscription series season tickets during 1975-1976 season.
In 1976, Miss Tania steps down as artistic director of the Ballet so she can devote her time to teaching and continue her position as head of the ballet department at the Conservatory of Music
Eric Hyrst is Artistic Director 1976-1978.
In 1976, KCB qualifies as member of the National Endowment for the Arts Dance Touring Program.
In 1977, the company moves to the Prescott Firehouse in Kansas City, KS - upstairs room with fire pole in the corner.
In April 1977 New York City Ballet dancer Patricia McBride performs her first full-length production of Giselle with KCB.
In 1977-1978, a season of four productions, including Fall, Nutcracker and two Spring Shows, performed at the Performing Arts Center in KCK.
Ronald M. Sequoio is Artistic Director 1978-1980.
In 1979, the company moves to a warehouse under the Broadway Bridge at 3rd and Broadway.