A Sensory-friendly Performance
6 p.m., December 12, 2018
Muriel Kauffman Theatre | Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts
Kansas City Ballet is thrilled to present a sensory-friendly performance of The Nutcracker for children, families and adults with sensory sensitivities, autism spectrum disorder or other special needs. Appropriate changes will be made to this performance to create a welcoming and safe space for all in attendance. We are pleased to be working with the Kansas City Symphony to also provide live music for this performance while remaining sensitive to the needs of our audience.
General admission for this event is $25* per person. Please call Kansas City Ballet Box Office at 816.931.8993 to reserve tickets to this performance.
*$2.50 per ticket Kauffman Center surcharge additional.
What makes this performance sensory friendly?
- Reduced sound levels, especially loud and surprising noises
- House lights will remaining half lit
- Relaxed house rules…freedom to get up and move around, use of electronic devices is permitted, and permission to talk freely during the performance
- Designated quiet space will be available throughout the evening
- Trained staff, ushers, and volunteers to assist patrons
Plan your Nutcracker Experience
- Run Time: Approximately 2 hours, which includes a 20 minute intermission
- Kauffman Center will be open at 5 p.m. for patron arrival
- Parking: The Arts District Garage is connected to the Kauffman Center and is $10. Access to the theatre is provided by stairs, escalators and elevators. Parking can be pre-purchased when you order tickets thru the Box Office.
- Learn more about the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts and its accessibility
- Story of The Nutcracker
- Pre-visit Stories to share with your child (PDF)
- Nutcracker Synopsis with accompanying photos (PDF)
- Autism Speaks
- Children’s Mercy Hospital
- Breedlove Family Foundation
Questions? Please contact Grace Lewis at email@example.com.