Reports to: Artistic Director and Executive Director
Position Category Full Time/Exempt
The School Director is a senior member of the artistic and administrative staff of the school who manages the department, faculty and students. The School Director in conjunction with the Artistic Director determines, communicates and enforces curriculum requirements, supervising teachers and evaluating students. The School Director works with the Artistic Director of Kansas City Ballet to ensure shared, cohesive artistic vision between School and Company.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Determine artistic direction of School through a detailed, up-to-date syllabus. Communicate educational expectations vertically as students progress and horizontally at each level. Enforce technical and achievement requirements for level advancement for students.
- Evaluate student progress and recommend advancement if the student is ready.
- Recruit, hire and train outstanding teachers, substitutes, and class assistants.
- Consult with the Music Director of Kansas City Ballet concerning all accompanists for all classes concerning training and musical repertoire requests both live and recorded.
- Create and maintain a detailed effective schedule of all classes for the School.
- Work with Executive Director, Artistic Director, and Chief Financial Officer to determine strategic plan, implement plan outcomes and evaluate results for the artistic direction of the School.
- Work with the Executive Director, Artistic Director and CFO on budget projections for the School staff and programs.
- Work closely with the Artistic Director, and artistic staff as needed, to choose children’s casts for all Kansas City Ballet Company productions in an advisory position. This would also include participation in any type of auditions for all roles within company productions
- Advise as needed the Artistic Director concerning the selection of KCB II and Trainee members. Participate in developing KCB II/Trainee skills by integrating these positions with the top level of School and with the Company.
- Work in tandem with the Education/Outreach Manager and Coordinator on the content and series of events connected with Kansas City Ballet School.
- Plan and oversee all intensive summer programs and master-class series.
- Teach School classes as schedule permits
- Supervise any auditions that are related to the School, scholarships, teachers, roles in student company repertory
- Work with Development Department on fundraising initiatives to support education/outreach programs and School operations.
- Participate in company leadership in a department-head capacity.
Key Professional Requirements for the Position
The ideal candidate possesses significant professional experience in the dance education industry, including but not limited to:
- Teaching experience at multiple levels of ability
- Notable professional dance performance experience
- Experience with other dance forms, preferably modern, jazz, hip hop, flamenco, and other types of movement
- 3-5 or more years of administrative/executive experience. Additionally, a four-year degree preferred
- Respected reputation in the dance profession
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. We offer an excellent benefits package with health, vision, life, liberal vacation, sick leave and holiday schedule.
Please submit cover letter, curriculum vitae, five professional references who know you well personally and professionally via email or certified mail (e-mail addresses and telephone numbers, please) with salary requirements to the attention of:
Kansas City Ballet
Todd Bolender Center for Dance & Creativity
500 West Pershing
Kansas City, MO 64108-2430
To the attention of:
Kansas City Ballet School Director Search/Mary Allen
Kansas City Ballet is an Equal Opportunity Employer.